Research Specialist, Assay Development
This position is responsible for assay development projects relevant to the various vaccine candidates being evaluated at Aeras and collaborates with various groups. This position requires familiarity with a wide variety of research techniques, statistical analysis, quantitative methods, qualitative methods, writing skills, speaking skills, analytical skills and critical thinking skills.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Culture various strains of recombinant BCG and characterize the strains by SDS-PAGE, Western blotting, PCR, and other quantitative analysis (example; BCA assay or others).
- Optimize and perform Peptide micro-array, Multiplex Cytokine Assay and ELISA for pre-clinical and clinical studies.
- Characterize various recombinant viral vectors by SDS-PAGE, Western blotting, ELISA, qPCR, and other gene/protein expression assays.
- Develop and perform viral titer assays, TCID50, plaque, and focus assays for viral vectors (example; adenovirus, baculovirus, CMV and others).
- Help in producing endogen-free recombinant proteins for assay release development using DNA cloning technology; express recombinant proteins in E. coli and purify using column chromatography.
- Train and qualify colleagues on various protocols, as needed.
- Provide assay support to the Pre-Clinical groups as well as to Process Development and Manufacturing Department.
- Organize and analyze data using computer software when applicable, and interpret results.
- Able to put together the results into technical reports, summaries, and/or graphic presentations.
- Good record keeping for all assay development processes.
- Write, review and edit SOPs.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree with one to five years related experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience in cell culture, handling or working with various virus propagation, titer determinations, protein expression and analyses (SDS-PAGE, Western blotting, ELISA), affinity column chromatography techniques, PCR, qPCR, and qRT-PCR.
- Able to communicate effectively, both verbally and written.
- Highly organized, analytical, accurate and detail oriented.
- Able to work under pressure to meet deadlines; able to analyze and prioritize assignments; able to judge the amount of time to spend for the expected outcome according to the importance of a project and the type of information needed.
Rockville, MD, USA
How to apply
Please email your application (cover letter and resume) to